Old-Fashioned Carrot Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- FLUFFY FROSTING:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, carrots, cream cheese and oil until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to carrot mixture. Stir in pineapple and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- In a heavy saucepan, cook and stir flour and milk over medium-low heat until a thick paste forms, about 10 minutes. Chill for 30 minutes. In a large mixer, cream the butter, sugars and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in the chilled flour mixture until smooth, about 5 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Frost cake. Sprinkle with nuts.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 652 calories, 40g fat (12g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 537mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 29, 2013
Mar 31, 2013
Outstanding! Very moist and tasty. I made this for Easter dinner and it was a hit!
Oct 16, 2012
<p>My whole family loved it! Even our picky eater. We left the nuts out. I may have to make it with nuts, just so my one daughter and I can have more to ourselves It didn't last very long. Will definitely be making this again. Great way to use the carrots we had in our garden. Pleasantly surprised by how moist it was. We made our own frosting b/c the girls love dad's frosting. </p>
Mar 19, 2008
Im sure its 1 and 1/2 cups vegetable oil. :-)
Mar 16, 2008
Carrott CakeIs it 1-1/2 cups of vegetable oil or just a 1/2 cup of vegetable oil ?
Mar 12, 2008
This cake was so moist and I had to share the last slice when I made it for my Ladies group this week. A real Winner. Thank you for the recipeDinkum
Mar 10, 2008
I will try this one for Easter. Sounds easier than most recipes. Thanks for posting.
Mar 7, 2008
My mom used to make this cake! The frosting is something we called "Mocked Frosting". My sister used to eat this on gram crackers... or anything she could alway with it! Giggle!!!!!!! Charlene I hope you read this... I am making this for Easter, you better come!!!
Mar 4, 2008
/sounds so-o good. Can it be made in layer cake? Or Bundt cake?
Mar 4, 2008
Can you make cupcakes with this recipe? If yes how long would you back them?