Layered Carrot Cake
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- ORANGE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix and cinnamon. Whisk the eggs, orange juice and oil; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended. Stir in the carrots, raisins and nuts (batter will be thick).
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, orange juice and zest; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 544 calories, 27g fat (11g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 471mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Dec 15, 2018
i made this for a friends bday! she loved it!! so easy and moist i will make it again!!
Apr 9, 2018
Yummy! No one will guess this starts with cake mix. Was even speedier to make by using a carrot cake mix and omitting additional spices. I too, used baby carrots speedily shredded in food processor. If you have extra chopped walnuts garnish the top of the frosted cake. Beautiful! As a volunteer feild editor with Taste of Home magazine I love recipes that use classic flavors in speedy, quick recipes!
Apr 15, 2017
Made this cake exactly as the recipe instructed. Turned out fabulous!! Guests loved it. Will definitely be making this again and again!
Apr 7, 2015
This recipe made a denser cake than I typically like; however, the flavor was really nice. I liked the fact that you use box mix and the pudding really added to the moisture of the cake.
Nov 20, 2014
GREAT! I used packaged peeled baby carrots grated through a food processor. Added 1/4 C dark brown sugar and omitted raisins ( 1/2 C coconut instead). Next time I will use orange liquor in the icing as Grand Marnay. Best carrot cake ever!
Jul 28, 2014
I MADE THIS yesterday for my family reunion. It was a HIT! Everybody, mentioned how it was better than the carrot cake they've purchased at bakeries. As much as possible, I followed the recipe, but I was short on orange zest and confection sugar for the frosting.... it still came out great. For the cake, I added a few dried cranberries, some sweetened coconut and a few Medjool dates and finally instead of just crushing them, I creamed my Walnuts. It made for a denser cake, yet still VERY moist and fragrant. I loved the experience. I loved the accolades. I loved the taste....however, I cant help but wish there was something else I could have done to the batter to add a bit more "humph" to it. Like a kick or something? LOL! Thanks for this recipe!
Jun 15, 2014
WOW! I decided to make this for my 90 year old dad for Father's Day. It is by far the best carrot cake I have ever made. I made the base cake as written. I adjusted the frosting as follows:I added an extra 1/3 package of cream cheese and 2 T of butter. I also added a tad more confection sugar. I used 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 teaspoon of OJ for the liquid. The key to this great frosting is to use a stand mixer and once all ingredients have been put together mix on medium speed for 4 to 5 minutes. It is the key to fluffy cream cheese frosting. I will never go back to a scratch carrot cake again. None of the others had the flavor and moistness of this one.
Mar 13, 2013
I usually won't make a dessert recipe unless I make it from scratch. However when I was in a bit of a jam this recipe was quick, easy and did taste good for a boxed cake mix. So thank you for opening my eyes to sometimes boxed cake can be good.
Apr 10, 2012
This is the best carrot cake I have ever made. It has been 2 days since I made it and it is even more moist than the first day!
Sep 12, 2011
Yummy! And so convenient that it uses cake mix & pudding mix. Definitely a keeper!~ Theresa