Magnificent Carrot Cake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons rum extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons rum extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs and extract until well blended. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and allspice; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in carrots, pineapple, walnuts and currants.
- Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, combine sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn syrup and baking soda in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Pour glaze over hot cakes; cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and extract; beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 681 calories, 35g fat (14g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 449mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (68g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Apr 26, 2017
I made this for Easter. It is a very good, super moist carrot cake recipe. Some people loved the rum flavor while others did not. I normally love rum flavor but did not care for it in this recipe so would change it to vanilla extract. It is really personal preference.
Mar 22, 2015
This was good, but I did halve the rum extract in the cake and used only 1 teaspoon in the frosting. I also added vanilla. Rum extract is pretty potent, so any more would have over powered.
Feb 20, 2013
My sister makes this cake and its DIVINE! So moist - even after freezing. LOVE LOVE LOVE
Oct 12, 2012
I made this cake for the first time last Easter. It was a huge hit. Very rich, very high calorie, but soooo worth it for a special occasion.
Nov 21, 2011
Truly a magnificent carrot cake! I made this for a Halloween party and also brought some to work. Everyone that tried it raved about how delicious it was. I did not include currants or nuts as i didn't have them on hand and didn't feel like the cake really NEEDED it. Instead of rum extract, I used a half a shot of Captain Morgan spiced rum as I didn't have any rum extract. So that was also not included in the frosting. I decided to do without the glaze as well. Everything else was followed accordingly. I would definitely make this again! also, in addition to great flavor, it also came out super moist.
Apr 25, 2011
I made this for Easter. It was amazing! It is the best carrot cake I have ever had! Everyone loved it! It will definitely be my go-to recipe for carrot cake from now on.
Apr 8, 2011
The second time I made this,I didn't use any allspice or dried currants.I also used vanilla extract instead of rum extract.To cut down on calories I didn't use the glaze.