Gingered Pumpkin Bisque
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup apple cider or juice
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground cloves
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional heavy whipping cream, optional
- Fresh thyme sprigs, optional
- In a small saucepan, saute the shallots, onion and ginger in oil until tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Gradually stir in broth and cider. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the pumpkin, syrup and seasonings. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in cream and vanilla; heat through (do not boil). If desired, drizzle individual servings with additional cream and garnish with thyme sprigs.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 229 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 463mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 10, 2016
If I could give this more stars. I would. I decided to try it tonight after pureeing pumpkins from our garden and my family is so glad I did! The soup is very easy to make and the flavor-divine!
Oct 20, 2015
Really fabulous, a nice mellow yet flavorful taste. Today I added a dollop of sour cream and that did it for me. As dh said just a tiny zing I think from the fresh ginger? A keeper for sure!
Jul 18, 2014
I made this soup for my son who was going to a Thanksgiving pot-luck last year. It was so delicious that I wanted to keep it for myself. Unfortunately, for me, there were no leftovers. :(
Oct 2, 2013
This is really, really good. Have also made with butternut squash cubes instead of pumpkin. If you make w/ squash increase simmer time to 20 min or bake cubes in oven 20 min @ 350 degrees. The remaining of this recipe is the same.
Feb 7, 2012
Dec 21, 2011
This was the best pumpkin soup I've ever tasted! I get requests to make it all the time and it is so easy to make too. Definately a keeper!
Nov 12, 2011
My husband who hates ginger and maple syrup LOVED it. My friend who hates pumpkin, LOVED it. My 4 year old who hates everything, at every drop!! It was delicious to say the least!
Oct 11, 2010
Lovely-- the styling is right on!!!
Oct 11, 2010
Stunning combination of flavors!!!!!