Gingered Pumpkin Bisque
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup apple cider or juice
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground cloves
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional heavy whipping cream, optional
- Fresh thyme sprigs, optional
- In a small saucepan, saute the shallots, onion and ginger in oil until tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Gradually stir in broth and cider. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the pumpkin, syrup and seasonings. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in cream and vanilla; heat through (do not boil). If desired, drizzle individual servings with additional cream and garnish with thyme sprigs.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 229 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 463mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 8, 2019
I just made 5 batches for our Friendsgiving Feast tomorrow night. It is so delicious, I hope everyone will love it too. A keeper for sure.
Jan 19, 2019
Made this for Thanksgiving and it was super delicious and a huge hit. Was hoping to have some left over, but it was all gone! Excellent flavor and texture, really good.
Oct 10, 2016
If I could give this more stars. I would. I decided to try it tonight after pureeing pumpkins from our garden and my family is so glad I did! The soup is very easy to make and the flavor-divine!
Oct 20, 2015
Really fabulous, a nice mellow yet flavorful taste. Today I added a dollop of sour cream and that did it for me. As dh said just a tiny zing I think from the fresh ginger? A keeper for sure!
Jul 18, 2014
I made this soup for my son who was going to a Thanksgiving pot-luck last year. It was so delicious that I wanted to keep it for myself. Unfortunately, for me, there were no leftovers. :(
Oct 2, 2013
This is really, really good. Have also made with butternut squash cubes instead of pumpkin. If you make w/ squash increase simmer time to 20 min or bake cubes in oven 20 min @ 350 degrees. The remaining of this recipe is the same.
Feb 7, 2012
Dec 21, 2011
This was the best pumpkin soup I've ever tasted! I get requests to make it all the time and it is so easy to make too. Definately a keeper!
Nov 12, 2011
My husband who hates ginger and maple syrup LOVED it. My friend who hates pumpkin, LOVED it. My 4 year old who hates everything, at every drop!! It was delicious to say the least!
Oct 11, 2010
Lovely-- the styling is right on!!!