Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut gingerbread into 1/2-in. to 1-in. cubes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Combine the pumpkin, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon; stir into pudding. In another bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and extract; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Set aside 1/4 cup gingerbread cubes. In a 4-qt. trifle bowl or glass serving bowl, layer a third of the remaining gingerbread cubes; top with a third of the pumpkin mixture and whipped cream. Repeat layers twice. Crumble reserved gingerbread; sprinkle over top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 400 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 9, 2018
This is delicious and so easy to put together and when you are finished with it, it is very eye appealing as well as tastes great!
Dec 9, 2015
Absolutely nummy. Big hit at church dinner. I ran out of time and used prepared whipped topping instead of whipping the whipping cream which lowered fat and sugar content, at least a little bit. Am making it for Christmas dinner as well.
Jan 12, 2015
This was delicious! I made it for Christmas and it was a huge hit! I almost made the gingerbread came from a box, and I'm so glad I didn't . It was easy to make and I got lots of compliments on how moist the cake was!! I will keep this in my recipe box!! Thank you for wonderful dessert
Nov 27, 2014
I made this to take to dinner at my daughters. Nothing left, picky kids even wanted 2nds.
Nov 27, 2013
This is so tasty! Everyone always loves it, and looks like you worked super hard if you bring it anywhere like a potluck!
Nov 13, 2013
My family literally bothered me to find this recipe . I made this 3 years ago and lost the recipe. They will be so surprised when I show up with this on Thanksgiving.
Dec 24, 2012
mmm.mmm good.... but not THAT god
Nov 16, 2012
I have been making this recipe for 2 years now, It has been a big hit at cjurch dinners, went from making one dish to two, one just isn't enough, This recipe is wonderful, taking it to our church dinner tomorrow..
Sep 28, 2012
Delicious! I took this to an Autumn dinner with friends and it was a big hit! I love the addition of the rum extract!
Nov 16, 2011
I made this dessert today in individual cups for a party and it is delicious!! thanks