Brussels Sprouts au Gratin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup cubed sourdough or French bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shredded white sharp cheddar or Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°. Place Brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Add oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; toss to coat. Transfer to two ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Roast 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp-tender. Reduce oven setting to 400°.
- Meanwhile, place bread, butter, parsley and garlic in a food processor; pulse until fine crumbs form.
- Place roasted sprouts in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. In a small bowl, mix cream, pepper flakes, nutmeg, and remaining salt and pepper. Pour over Brussels sprouts; sprinkle with cheese. Top with crumb mixture. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and topping is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 283 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein.
Nov 21, 2017
Thanksgiving is around the corner so I thought to give this recipe a try.First of all it took me a long time to prepare this recipe and I ended up washing several dishes.It tasted good but I was surprised that the heavy whipping cream didn’t get firm in this dish.For the future I might just bake the Brussels sprouts with oil, salt and pepper on 450 Ffor 10 min (as described in the first part).
Nov 17, 2017
This was quite yummy! I expected the "sauce" to be a bit thicker, but it was in no way bad. The flavors were actually pretty subtle, but I used the swiss instead of cheddar, so that could be why it was a milder flavor. Next time I'll try the cheddar. It also took more like 12 minutes for the brussels sprouts to be crisp-tender for me, despite having an oven that runs a little on the hot side. I had cut the recipe in half for just my husband and I, and we both went back for seconds, leaving about a serving or so leftover at the end. I'd also suggest doubling the crumb topping, it was so yummy but didn't feel like it was enough. Overall a good solid side dish that I will be trying again. Thanks!
Nov 16, 2017
I've made this recipe with one exception , it included the ingredient of bacon. not sure if there is another on here for same dish but calls for inclusion of bacon.(also we chose the cheddar as not fond of swiss cheese)this put huge smiles on faces across the table and there was none left to send home for Thanksgiving leftovers.good sign
Aug 18, 2017
Wow! This is one of the best Brussels Sprouts recipes we have ever had!!! I made this last night and will definitely be making this one of the go to recipes frequently! The only adjustments I made were to use Panko crumbs and melted the butter, but did everything else as specified.
Oct 17, 2014
I never cared for brussels sprouts until I tried this recipe. i could just make a meal of this alone.
Aug 30, 2014
ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS!! I jus started getting into Brussels sprouts and this was my first time cooking with fresh and it turned out with such a great texture and flavor. I feel this could be like a base recipe for another flavor.