Brussels Sprouts & Kale Saute
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced hard salami, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded fresh kale
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- In a Dutch oven, cook and stir salami in oil over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes or until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; reserve drippings in pan.
- Add butter to drippings; heat over medium-high heat. Add Brussels sprouts, kale, onion, salt, cayenne and black pepper; cook and stir until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender. Stir in walnuts and vinegar. Serve with salami strips.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 126 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 341mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 28, 2017
I grow both kale and brussels sprouts in my garden and this recipe is an end of summer favorite!
Feb 16, 2015
Jan 14, 2015
I have been buying Kale salad that is pre made - can't wait to try this, looks yummy.
Apr 21, 2014
This was on my Easter menu yesterday and was a big hit, even with vegetable-shunning eaters.
Jan 21, 2013
Delicious! I would love to make this again!
Dec 25, 2012
I was asked to bring this recipe to Christmas dinner as a repeat delicious side dish. One replacement for the salami - instead I used bacon; everyone loves bacon.
Dec 9, 2012
My family loves this recipe. I substituted bacon for Salami and used pecans instead of Walnuts and it was fabulous. My you children 7 and 10 love it.
Dec 5, 2012
This recipe was wonderful,so excited to have another good veggie recipe.Linda
Nov 21, 2012
I have never tried Kale before & this dish has me hooked! Very tasty!
Nov 1, 2012
I used bacon since I had it on hand. Definitely a keeper!