Grilled Brussels Sprouts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 16 fresh Brussels sprouts (about 1-1/2-inch diameter), trimmed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large saucepan, place a steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Bring water to a boil. Place Brussels sprouts in basket. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; steam, covered, until crisp-tender, 4-6 minutes. Cool slightly; cut each sprout in half.
- Cut red pepper and onion into 1-1/2-in. pieces. On 4 metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread Brussels sprouts, red pepper and onion. Mix salt, garlic powder and pepper. Brush vegetables with oil; sprinkle with salt mixture. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat until vegetables are tender, 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 skewer: 84 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 316mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
May 26, 2019
Very easy and absolutely delicious! I used red and yellow bell pepper and purple onions. Cherry or grape tomatoes would be great too.
Jun 4, 2018
Loved the idea of skewing the Brussels Sprouts for grilling! We live in Washington state and have a limited time we can grill outside, so I adapted this for inside. I followed the prep as directed, then placed the veggie skewers on a lined baking sheet w/sprayed wire rack on it. Brushed w/EVOO, S&P, and broiled 5-6 min each side. I have made these several times and added pineapple chunks and cherry tomatoes, changing the bell pepper to a yellow or orange one for more color. Even my husband (who hates brussels sprouts) loved these! Thank you for sharing.