Brussels Sprouts with Bacon Vinaigrette
I'd never tried Brussels sprouts until I made this salad. It won me over and even charmed my family. Bacon and apples spruce up the flavor. —Stephanie Gates, Waterloo, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 3 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts
- 10 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 medium apples, thinly sliced
- Trim Brussels sprouts. Using a knife or the slicing blade on a food processor, thinly slice sprouts. Transfer to a large bowl. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1/4 cup in pan.
- Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in vinegar, honey and mustard. Cook and stir 1 minute. Add bacon and apples to Brussels sprouts. Drizzle with onion mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.
Health tip: Brussels sprouts are an excellent source of vitamin K, which is important for healthy bones.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 166 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 274mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Brussels Sprout Salad in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017