Leeks Au Gratin
Leeks are too delicious to stand only as an enhancement. Here, they're the star of a side dish, with a bit of French flair. —Chuck Mallory, Chicago, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min. + standing
- 6 medium leeks (white and pale green portion only)
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cut leeks lengthwise in half; cut halves crosswise into 3-in. pieces. Place cream, salt, pepper and leeks in an ovenproof large skillet; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Uncover; simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until golden and leeks are tender, 15-20 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 224 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 378mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Leeks Au Gratin in Simple & Delicious April/May 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.