Scallops Au Gratin
Since scallops will continue to release their cooked juices, drain this liquid before returning scallops to the pan so that your sauce is thicker.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds bay scallops
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, milk, cream, wine, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute scallops and onion in butter until scallops are opaque. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add milk mixture to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain scallops. Add the scallops, mushrooms and tarragon to the sauce; heat through. Stir in Asiago cheese until melted.
- Divide scallop mixture among four 10-oz. baking dishes. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over scallop mixture. Broil 6 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 534 calories, 31g fat (18g saturated fat), 150mg cholesterol, 885mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 39g protein.
Originally published as Scallops Au Gratin in Weeknight Cooking Made Easy 2005