Scalloped Potatoes and Carrots
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 9 medium), peeled and sliced
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 cups sliced onions
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large Dutch oven, combine potatoes, carrots, onions, water and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Remove from the heat; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup cheese. Reduce heat; stir until cheese is melted. Drain the vegetables; layer half in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the cheese sauce. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 255 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 800mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 15, 2018
This was delicious! I did change it up a bit though. I only had 1/2 lb of baby potatoes, so I did only 1/5 of the main ingredients. I used baby carrots too, cutting each one into thirds. I cut the baby potatoes in half. I boiled them for the full 10 minutes. I did only 1/3 of the cheese sauce. Instead of cheddar I did a mixture of mozzarella and swiss. This combo of cheeses was SO GOOD. I feel like it would be better than the cheddar! Because there was so little, I simply did one layer, pouring all of the main ingredients into a dish, then poured the cheese sauce over top. I baked it for 15 minutes, uncovered it, then baked it for an additional 5 minutes. The vegetables were a perfect done-ness and the cheese sauce was nice and gooey! We were able to get about 3 servings out of it as a side dish. I can't wait to make this again, it was beyond delicious. Next time I'll try it completely as-is, but I think I may keep doing the baby potatoes and baby carrots.
May 16, 2015
A yummy side dish....loved it!
Apr 12, 2013
Excellent flavor and very easy to fix. Everyone from adults to kids loved it.
Feb 20, 2011
Made this a few nights ago for four adults. Everyone raved about it. Great recipe. Will use this time and time again. Thanks for sharing!!!
Feb 17, 2011
Excellent!!! I've made it in the oven and in an actual dutch oven outside. Absolutely delicious and a favorite at the whole camp. I don't make any other kind of scalloped potatoes now.
Sep 19, 2010
This was a big hit at our house. It will become the recipe I use when making scalloped potatoes.