Sweet Potatoes and Parsnips
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled
- 4 medium parsnips (about 2 pounds), peeled
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Cut each half lengthwise into four pieces, then into 3-in. slices. Cut parsnips into quarters, then into 3-in. pieces. Place the potatoes, parsnips and onion in a 3-qt. microwave-safe baking dish. Cover and microwave on high for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes; stir. Cover and cook 30 seconds longer or until vegetables are crisp tender. Add remaining ingredients; toss to coat. Transfer to two 15x10x1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
3/4 cup: 169 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Jan 15, 2020These veggies are delicious! I omitted the microwave step, cut the recipe in half for the two of us, and roasted the veggies until tender. An easy side dish to prepare and something I will definitely make again!
Jan 20, 2016
I omitted the microwave step . I simply roasted all of the vegetables together on a baking sheet, stirring occasionally. I used seasoned garlic salt. I also did use this much olive oil, just enough to cover lightly.
Dec 31, 1969
This was a nice recipe for fall. I used turnips rather than parsnips, omitted the allspice, and added a sliced apple before putting it in the oven. I will make this again
Dec 31, 1969
am doing the prep today for our Canadian Thanksgiving tomorrow...adding spices and oil now may not be wise...will let you all know