Skillet Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
Treat your sweet-salty tooth! Sweet potatoes dressed with buttery, herby, garlicky goodness make for a stunning, delicious side dish. —Lauren Knoelke, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 8 small sweet potatoes (about 7 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1/2 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted nuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. Cut thin slices lengthwise from bottom of sweet potatoes to allow them to lie flat; discard slices. Place potatoes flat side down; cut crosswise into 1/8-in. slices, leaving them intact at the bottom. Arrange sweet potatoes in a 12-in. cast-iron skillet.
- Stir together next 5 ingredients. Spoon half the butter mixture evenly over sweet potatoes. Bake 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add herbs to remaining butter mixture. Toss bread crumbs with Parmesan. Remove skillet from oven. Spoon remaining butter mixture over potatoes; top with bread crumb mixture. Return to oven until potatoes are tender and topping is golden brown, 10-12 minutes. If desired, top with toasted nuts.