Skillet Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
Treat your sweet-salty tooth! Sweet potatoes dressed with buttery, herby, garlicky goodness make for a stunning, delicious side dish. —Lauren Knoelke, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 8 small sweet potatoes (about 7 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1/2 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted nuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. Cut thin slices lengthwise from bottom of sweet potatoes to allow them to lie flat; discard slices. Place potatoes flat side down; cut crosswise into 1/8-in. slices, leaving them intact at the bottom. Arrange sweet potatoes in a 12-in. cast-iron skillet.
- Stir together next five ingredients. Spoon half the butter mixture evenly over sweet potatoes. Bake 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add herbs to remaining butter mixture. Toss bread crumbs with Parmesan. Remove skillet from oven. Spoon remaining butter mixture over potatoes; top with bread crumb mixture. Return to oven until potatoes are tender and topping is golden brown, 10-12 minutes. If desired, top with toasted nuts.
Editor's NoteTo make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Nutrition Facts1 sweet potato: 333 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 620mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Skillet Hasselback Sweet Potatoes in TOH Live Fall 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.