Roasted Balsamic Sweet Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
- 6 green onions, chopped
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place sweet potatoes in a 15x10-in. pan; drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn to coat. Bake until tender, 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-low heat until crisp; drain. Discard all but 4 teaspoons drippings.
- Cook celery and onion in drippings over medium heat until tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute. Add beef stock and balsamic vinegar; simmer until liquid is reduced by half, 5-8 minutes. Add paprika and, if desired, cumin; cook 1 minute longer.
- Pour balsamic mixture over sweet potatoes; add bacon. Toss to coat. Top with green onions and, if desired, minced fresh parsley; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 287 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 413mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 21, 2018
I made about 1/3 recipe since I only had 2 sweet potatoes left. I didn't think this recipe was quite as time consuming as indicated in other reviews. I paired this with a simple fish entree so the time factor was mitigated. Taste was phenomenal and consistency of the potatoes was perfect, crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. I was told this was the best sweet potato recipe I have made.
Dec 31, 2016
These sweet potatoes are awesome! I thought the recipe was no more difficult to prepare than any of the other side dishes I typically make and the end results are absolutely delicious. My husband was a bit skeptical of a savory sweet potato recipe at first, but he ended up having 3 helpings and just raved about it! I will definitely be making this recipe often!
Dec 19, 2016
A lot of work goes into this dish. I primarily made it for my husband as I don't like sweet potatoes much. I did try it though and I found it sweet, but he said it was amazing, so I gave it five stars for his review.
Dec 13, 2016
This is a very nice savory treatment of sweet potatoes. The reviewer below was correct in reporting that you will be giving this side dish a bit more time than one you simply throw together--keep your main dish simple, in other words. I put the potatoes into the skillet and stirred the sauce around them instead of pouring the sauce over the potatoes.
Nov 12, 2016
My family loved it, it was a bit of a challenge dealing with raw potatoes. Mine didn't turn out as pretty as the picture. It's defiantly a dish that takes priority when your cooking multiple dishes.