Roasted Balsamic Sweet Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
- 6 green onions, chopped
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place sweet potatoes in a 15x10-in. pan; drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn to coat. Bake until tender, 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-low heat until crisp; drain. Discard all but 4 teaspoons drippings.
- Cook celery and onion in drippings over medium heat until tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute. Add beef stock and balsamic vinegar; simmer until liquid is reduced by half, 5-8 minutes. Add paprika and, if desired, cumin; cook 1 minute longer.
- Pour balsamic mixture over sweet potatoes; add bacon. Toss to coat. Top with green onions and, if desired, minced fresh parsley; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 287 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 413mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
May 21, 2018
I made about 1/3 recipe since I only had 2 sweet potatoes left. I didn't think this recipe was quite as time consuming as indicated in other reviews. I paired this with a simple fish entree so the time factor was mitigated. Taste was phenomenal and consistency of the potatoes was perfect, crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. I was told this was the best sweet potato recipe I have made.
Dec 31, 2016
These sweet potatoes are awesome! I thought the recipe was no more difficult to prepare than any of the other side dishes I typically make and the end results are absolutely delicious. My husband was a bit skeptical of a savory sweet potato recipe at first, but he ended up having 3 helpings and just raved about it! I will definitely be making this recipe often!
Dec 19, 2016
A lot of work goes into this dish. I primarily made it for my husband as I don't like sweet potatoes much. I did try it though and I found it sweet, but he said it was amazing, so I gave it five stars for his review.
Dec 13, 2016
This is a very nice savory treatment of sweet potatoes. The reviewer below was correct in reporting that you will be giving this side dish a bit more time than one you simply throw together--keep your main dish simple, in other words. I put the potatoes into the skillet and stirred the sauce around them instead of pouring the sauce over the potatoes.
Nov 12, 2016
My family loved it, it was a bit of a challenge dealing with raw potatoes. Mine didn't turn out as pretty as the picture. It's defiantly a dish that takes priority when your cooking multiple dishes.