Potato-Topped Ground Beef Skillet
Compared to other ground beef skillet recipes, the depth of flavor in this recipe is amazing, and I never have leftovers when I take it to potlucks. I love recipes that I can cook and serve in the same skillet. If your butcher has chili grind beef, which is coarsely ground, go for that; it lends an extra-meaty texture. —Fay Moreland, Wichita Falls, Texas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 1-1/4 cups dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/4 pounds red potatoes (about 4 medium), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a broiler-safe 12-in. skillet, cook and crumble beef over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper; remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion, carrots, mushrooms and garlic until onion is tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir in flour and herbs; cook 1 minute. Stir in wine; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add beef and broth; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 10-12 minutes. Drain; cool slightly.
- Preheat broiler. Arrange potatoes over stew, overlapping slightly; brush lightly with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then cheese. Broil 5-6 in. from heat until potatoes are lightly browned, 6-8 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 313 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 459mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Skillet Ground Beef Stew in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.