Potato-Topped Ground Beef Skillet
The depth of flavor in this recipe is amazing, and I never have leftovers when I take it to potlucks. I love recipes that I can cook and serve in the same skillet. If your butcher has chili grind beef, which is coarsely ground, go for that; it lends an extra-meaty texture. —Fay Moreland, Wichita Falls, Texas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 1-1/4 cups dry red wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/4 pounds red potatoes (about 4 medium), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a broiler-safe 12-in. skillet, cook and crumble beef over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper; remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion, carrots, mushrooms and garlic until onion is tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir in flour and herbs; cook 1 minute. Stir in wine; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add beef and broth; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 10-12 minutes. Drain; cool slightly.
- Preheat broiler. Arrange potatoes over stew, overlapping slightly; brush lightly with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then cheese. Broil 5-6 in. from heat until potatoes are lightly browned, 6-8 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 313 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 459mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Skillet Ground Beef Stew in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips