Potato-Topped Chicken Casserole
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makes2 casseroles (6 servings each)
- 4 pounds medium red potatoes, quartered
- 3 pounds ground chicken
- 4 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1-3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook chicken, carrots and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour, tomato paste, salt, pepper and thyme. Add chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Divide mixture between two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Drain potatoes; place in a large bowl. Add milk and butter; mash until smooth. Stir in cheese. Spread over chicken mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casseroles up to 3 months. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake, uncovered, 50-55 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 412 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 636mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.
Jan 28, 2014
Very yummy comfort food! I had roasted a chicken and made mashed potatoes the night prior so I used leftovers to create this dish. My family loved it, to include two picky toddlers! So it's a keeper, and a great way to use up leftovers, making it a great weeknight option!
Sep 8, 2011
I loved this recipe. I substituted turkey Italian sausage for the ground chicken and it turned out fabulous!
Mar 1, 2011
my husband and i really loved this. i cut this recipe in half and i didnt have any thyme on hand so i used oregano, still yummy.
Dec 17, 2010
Hmmmm...I don't see anything special about this recipe and I felt like it was really bland. Ground beef would have been better for flavor. Not a hit in my house.
Dec 17, 2009
This is now one of our favorites. I used ground turkey instead of ground chicken - but everytime I make it for someone else they ask for the recipe!
Nov 7, 2009
My family loves this kind of meal and when I made it for them, it vanished so fast, it was amazing. I will be keeping this recipe and definitely making this again.