Best Shepherd’s Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cooked
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream. Add salt and pepper; set aside. In a large skillet, cook beef with onion and red pepper until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir garlic salt into meat mixture. Stir in the soup, corn and milk.
- Spread meat mixture into a 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes; drizzle with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. For additional browning, place under broiler for a few minutes. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 378 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 626mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Apr 3, 2016
I substituted Greek plain yogurt for the sour cream & also 1 lb of ground beef and 1 pound of ground turkey. Added 1 cup of frozen peas and carrots. Sprinkled top with parsley and Parmesan cheese. As other reviewer stated 1 T of worceshire sauce. Delish!!
Sep 25, 2015
OH MY!! for this shepherd's pie!! family loved it!! will cook again!!
Oct 20, 2014
I would recommend using less milk so that it does not become so soupy. The milk did not help thicken the soup. I even added additional vegetables like peas and carrots.
Sep 15, 2014
Loved it and so did my familyThank you for this recipe
Apr 11, 2014
Great recipe! I made this for a small group study at church and it was almost gone before we knew it! They all loved it and went back for seconds and even thirds. I did tweak it a bit. I didn't have onions on hand so I substituted about a 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder and mixed that into the chopped meat. I omitted the red pepper and the can of corn and used a can of mixed vegetables instead. However, the recipe says this feeds 8-10. I would say that one batch would probably feed more like 4 people. I had to double it and I'm glad I did. I will definitely make this again!
Jan 16, 2014
Received several compliments at our senior apartment potluck. Have fixed this easy recipe several times. Added 1 T Worcestershire Sauce, 1 C frozen peas, 1 C or three diced carrots. Do not add corn.
Jan 9, 2014
It wasn't terrible, It just TERRIBLY lacked flavor. It was very bland. Like eating unflavored ground beef with unflavored mashed potatoes and unflavored vegetables. I even added fresh garlic and mushrooms, but it helped nothing. I will not make this again. Waste of money for the ingredients. We wasted half the 9X13" pie.
Jan 3, 2014
This is a really good recipe. Made it for friends that came for dinner & they loved it. Will be making this again
Jan 1, 2014
We love the heck out of this recipe! It comes together quick, makes plenty for leftovers, & tastes AMAZING! We even add a bit of cheese on top for extra yummy-ness. This is a regular in our household.
Oct 25, 2013