Simple Shepherd’s Pie
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 casseroles (4 servings each)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) home-style beef gravy
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each casserole):
- 2 to 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the gravy, vegetables and onion. Spoon half into a greased 2-qt. baking dish or four oven-safe 2-cup dishes. Top with mashed potatoes. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Place the remaining beef mixture in a freezer container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To prepare frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator; transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with the potatoes, butter and paprika; bake as directed.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 1, 2016
Needs a bit more seasoning. I'm going to try it with the rote that dblbogey49 mentioned and maybe add some Mexican spices to it. I like using the packets of instant mashed potatoes made by Idahoan I think when I don't feel like making mashed or have any leftovers. But, if it's not made with lamb (hence the word Shepherd), it's called a "Cottage" pie.
Jan 28, 2016
Very easy to make and you can use any vegetables you like, I also added minced garlic about a 1/4 teas. Will certainly made this one again and again.
Dec 30, 2014
Yum . . . I used canned corn, peas, carrots, Rotel and beef gravy with instant mashed potatoes. I will be making this again!
Jan 3, 2014
Dec 2, 2013
This is a quick and easy recipe! I used some leftover ground veal and added some cubed and sauteed mushrooms along with the veggies. Started fixing it at 4, we were eating at 5.
Nov 25, 2013
The Way I would make this is to simply take left over Beef Stew and put it in a large baking dish and put moist Mashed Potatoes on top n bake it for a hour with bisquits.
Mar 8, 2013
Sorry, this is five stars!
Mar 8, 2013
I had never made Shepherd's Pie and tried this recipe. I didn't have canned gravy, so made my own using bouillion. I added celery, garlic, although I don't think I'd use garlic the next time. My husband and I really liked this and I will make it again.
Mar 6, 2013
I subsituted green beans and tomato soup, added onions, instant potatoes on top and shredded cheese. Very good!
Apr 9, 2012
I added cheese to my and that make it the 5th star.