Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 casseroles (8 servings each)
- 5 pounds potatoes (about 10 medium), peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1-1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place potatoes in a stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until tender, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook beef, onions and garlic in a Dutch oven until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in corn and barbecue sauce.
- Drain potatoes; mash with cream cheese, butter, salt and pepper. Spoon meat mixture into two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Spread mashed potatoes over tops; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, 25-30 minutes.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casseroles; cover and freeze up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover and bake until bubbly, 1-1/4 hours. Uncover; bake until cheese is melted and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°, 5-10 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 443 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 820mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 13, 2018
""This should not be called a Shepherds Pie ... a Shepherds Pie is made with Lamb ... hence the name SHEPHERD This is sacrilege & an insult to the Irish""
Aug 24, 2013
My husband and I tried this recipe last night and loved it. The barbeque sauce gives it a southern flavor that we both enjoyed and he rated it as a new favorite!
May 14, 2013
Hit a home-run with this one! Just like the title of the magazine- simple and delicious! However, I didn't make the second one to freeze so I can't speak for the frozen/reheat quality. But fresh was amazing!
Dec 11, 2012
This was a slam dunk with the kids!
Nov 24, 2012
The barbecue sauce in this gave it a very strange taste.