Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 casseroles (8 servings each)
- 5 pounds potatoes (about 10 medium), peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1-1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place potatoes in a stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook beef, onions and garlic in a Dutch oven until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in corn and barbecue sauce.
- Drain potatoes; mash with cream cheese, butter, salt and pepper. Spoon meat mixture into two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Spread mashed potatoes over tops; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Freeze option: Cool unbaked casseroles; cover and freeze up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover and bake 1-1/4 hours or until bubbly. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 443 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 820mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Mar 13, 2018
""This should not be called a Shepherds Pie ... a Shepherds Pie is made with Lamb ... hence the name SHEPHERD This is sacrilege & an insult to the Irish""
Aug 24, 2013
My husband and I tried this recipe last night and loved it. The barbeque sauce gives it a southern flavor that we both enjoyed and he rated it as a new favorite!
May 14, 2013
Hit a home-run with this one! Just like the title of the magazine- simple and delicious! However, I didn't make the second one to freeze so I can't speak for the frozen/reheat quality. But fresh was amazing!
Dec 11, 2012
This was a slam dunk with the kids!
Nov 24, 2012
The barbecue sauce in this gave it a very strange taste.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.