Baked Shepherd’s Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup French-fried onions, optional
- 1/2 cup bacon bits, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef, mushrooms and onion over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in seasonings. Add tomatoes, corn and green beans; heat through, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl, mix soup and water.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of each of the following: beef mixture, potatoes and soup mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with cheese and, if desired, French-fried onions and bacon bits.
- Bake, covered, 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until bubbly and potatoes are tender. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 31, 2016
I followed the recipe and this is simple , tasty comfort food. Reminded me of something my mom used to make. I liked it, hubby did too. A nice salad and crusty bread brought back memories. I would make this again it's not fancy it's comfort.