Baked Shepherd’s Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup French-fried onions, optional
- 1/2 cup bacon bits, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef, mushrooms and onion over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in seasonings. Add tomatoes, corn and green beans; heat through, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl, mix soup and water.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of each of the following: beef mixture, potatoes and soup mixture. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with cheese and, if desired, French-fried onions and bacon bits.
- Bake, covered, 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until bubbly and potatoes are tender. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
May 31, 2016
I followed the recipe and this is simple , tasty comfort food. Reminded me of something my mom used to make. I liked it, hubby did too. A nice salad and crusty bread brought back memories. I would make this again it's not fancy it's comfort.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.