Southwestern Shepherd’s Pie
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 casseroles (7 servings each)
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups mashed potato flakes
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 2 cans (11 ounces each) Mexicorn, drained
- 2/3 cup chopped green onions
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the enchilada sauce, flour, chipotle peppers, cumin and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the water, milk, butter and salt; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Stir in potato flakes until combined. Add chilies and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Transfer meat mixture to two greased 11x7-in. baking dishes. Layer with corn, mashed potato mixture and remaining cheese. Sprinkle with green onions. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months.
- Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Sprinkle with paprika.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until bubbly. Sprinkle with paprika.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 399 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 973mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 22, 2019
Hi Jenn - your enchilada sauce idea is great but what is in it? I had to laugh when I saw 2 cups of cups (i've made that kind of typo...) And what kind of frozen peppers? Do you just blend ingredients together? Help please.
Feb 8, 2019
This has been a family favorite for awhile. I now make my own enchilada sauce. Use 2 cups of cups with 1/2 cup frozen peppers (I always keep on hand.) Lastly, an Idaho girl can't use instant potatoes and is the equivalent of 8-12 medium mashed potatoes.
May 2, 2013
This recipe is such a winner and is now in the files as a family "fav" I use instant mashed potatoes to reduce prep time and it hasn't affected in the least the kudos received when I serve this....yummy!
Feb 14, 2013
It was wonderful.... it was pretty spicy, so I would just delete the abodo chili peppers... then it would be just fine....
Jan 9, 2012
I have to admit, I was a little hesitant on the flavors of this one, but it was delicious. Everyone in the family enjoyed it and I love that I have an extra in the freezer for a busy day. I am definately going to try the suggestion of the cornbread topping for next time.
Sep 7, 2011
Made this recipe many times. Love it, but I use a cornbread topping instead of Potatoes. The taste goes better and the cornbread soaks up some of the heat of the peppers.
Mar 9, 2011
Surprisingly so good! I took a frozen one to a family member who had just had a baby and her fam loved as well.
Sep 17, 2010
I am looking for recipes to freeze for my son to take to college. I think he will love this one.
Aug 16, 2010
This was very good... I only used one can of chilies and one teaspoon of the chipotle pepper for fear it would be too hot for my kids, and I used an extra cup of cheese cause we like things extra cheesy! So excited to have the extra casserole in the freezer - I don't get to do that very often because I don't have an extra freezer so there's never enough room. Thanks!
May 14, 2010
Wouldn't change one thing, a yummy family pleasing favorite that freezes nicely!