Hearty Shepherd’s Pie
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) peas and carrots, drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups prepared instant mashed potatoes
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, peas and carrots, mushrooms, water, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, salt and pepper; heat through. Transfer to a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate.
- In a large bowl, beat the mashed potatoes, cream cheese, sour cream and remaining garlic powder until blended. Spread over top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and potatoes are lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 419 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 985mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 18, 2017
Mmm..this is comforting, it tastes fresh & homemade. I made a few easy changes, ended up doubling it & put it into a big corningware dish. It was perfect & took 35 mins to bake. I added 1lb of ground pork & doubled the onion. I used a 1lb bag of frozen peas & carrots & left out the mushrooms. I added 1/4 tsp of better than boullion beef flavor to the water. Doubled the pepper & used shredded cheddar cheese instead of the Parmesan. I did not double the water, salt or rosemary. We thought it was excellent, definately tasted the savory garlic & rosemary flavor along with all the veggies & meat. An adult shepherds pie. Awesome.
Jun 25, 2014
This is the best shepherds pie I've ever had. The rosemary really gives it a unique flavor. Very savory. And the mashed potatoes on top were sooo good. My son couldn't wait for it to be done and he gobbled it up!
Mar 15, 2014
I was undecided about what to make for dinner & came across this recipe. I changed a few things--made the mashed potatoes, added more water & mixed vegs, no rosemary. It came out delicious & comforting. My son who is a picky eater asked me to make it for him again the next day. If it passes muster with him, it's a winner!
Feb 6, 2014
Delicious, easy to make. My fiance and I loved it!!
Mar 27, 2012
I added in frozen peas and corn plus I did 1/2 pond each ground beef and pork. What a great comforting meal.
Feb 7, 2011
I loved, loved, loved this recipe. I thought all the ingredients went well together. My husband, on the other hand, said it was just ok. I don't think he cared for the flavor of the dried rosemary. Oh well, leaves more for me! The only thing I changed was I used the frozen peas and carrots instead of canned.
Jan 17, 2011
I have been looking for a great shepherd's pie recipe for a long time. this one is great! my kids even loved it :) i cant wait to make this again. also i used thyme instead of rosemary
Jan 7, 2011
Delicious recipe! I modified it to exclude the rosemary and used cream of potato soup instead. it was a huge hit with the family!
Dec 28, 2010
A great way to use up extra mashed potatoes. The whole family enjoyed it.
Nov 14, 2010
I loved this recipe. It was so good and easy. I used healthy request soup to lighten it up a bit and a pouch of betty crocker mashed potatoes