Hearty Shepherd’s Pie
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) peas and carrots, drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups prepared instant mashed potatoes
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the soup, peas and carrots, mushrooms, water, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, salt and pepper; heat through. Transfer to a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate.
- In a large bowl, beat the mashed potatoes, cream cheese, sour cream and remaining garlic powder until blended. Spread over top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and potatoes are lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 419 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 985mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 23g protein.
Aug 18, 2017
Mmm..this is comforting, it tastes fresh & homemade. I made a few easy changes, ended up doubling it & put it into a big corningware dish. It was perfect & took 35 mins to bake. I added 1lb of ground pork & doubled the onion. I used a 1lb bag of frozen peas & carrots & left out the mushrooms. I added 1/4 tsp of better than boullion beef flavor to the water. Doubled the pepper & used shredded cheddar cheese instead of the Parmesan. I did not double the water, salt or rosemary. We thought it was excellent, definately tasted the savory garlic & rosemary flavor along with all the veggies & meat. An adult shepherds pie. Awesome.
Jun 25, 2014
This is the best shepherds pie I've ever had. The rosemary really gives it a unique flavor. Very savory. And the mashed potatoes on top were sooo good. My son couldn't wait for it to be done and he gobbled it up!
Mar 15, 2014
I was undecided about what to make for dinner & came across this recipe. I changed a few things--made the mashed potatoes, added more water & mixed vegs, no rosemary. It came out delicious & comforting. My son who is a picky eater asked me to make it for him again the next day. If it passes muster with him, it's a winner!
Feb 6, 2014
Delicious, easy to make. My fiance and I loved it!!
Mar 27, 2012
I added in frozen peas and corn plus I did 1/2 pond each ground beef and pork. What a great comforting meal.
Feb 7, 2011
I loved, loved, loved this recipe. I thought all the ingredients went well together. My husband, on the other hand, said it was just ok. I don't think he cared for the flavor of the dried rosemary. Oh well, leaves more for me! The only thing I changed was I used the frozen peas and carrots instead of canned.
Jan 17, 2011
I have been looking for a great shepherd's pie recipe for a long time. this one is great! my kids even loved it :) i cant wait to make this again. also i used thyme instead of rosemary
Jan 7, 2011
Delicious recipe! I modified it to exclude the rosemary and used cream of potato soup instead. it was a huge hit with the family!
Dec 28, 2010
A great way to use up extra mashed potatoes. The whole family enjoyed it.
Nov 14, 2010
I loved this recipe. It was so good and easy. I used healthy request soup to lighten it up a bit and a pouch of betty crocker mashed potatoes