Shepherd’s Pie Casserole
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup hot whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 large egg whites
- In a large skillet, brown beef, onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the mushrooms. Cook and stir for 3 minutes; drain. Place the tomato paste in a bowl. Gradually whisk in broth until smooth. Stir in horseradish, mustard, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add to meat mixture. Pour into a greased 11x7-in. baking pan; set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute the peppers in remaining oil until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and spoon over meat mixture. Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender; drain. Mash with milk, cheese and remaining salt. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into potatoes. Spoon over pepper layer. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 20 minutes longer or until meat layer is bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 450 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 861mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 4, 2018
I did change this recipe to suit our tastes. I had browned the ground beef the night before. I sauteed the red and orange pepper (didn't have green) with the onion in about 1 tbsp of oil until they were tender. I then added in the garlic and cooked for an additional minute. Next I added in the ground beef, 1/2 C chopped up baby carrots (which I had steamed beforehand), and about 3/4C of a mix of frozen peas and frozen corn. I cooked it all together until the ground beef and frozen veggies were hot. For the sauce, I did 1.5 times the amount because I felt like I would need more with the additional veggies (so 3/4C beef broth, 1.5 tbsp tomato paste, etc). I used pre-made mashed potatoes (Bob Evans, 24oz). Because I wasn't sure how much egg to add to my pre-made kind, I only used 1 egg white. I beat it until stiff peaks formed, and tried to fold it in, but it was very difficult because my potatoes were THICK. I think it was still worth it though, and added a little airiness to the mashed potatoes. I completely forgot the cheese, but didn't really miss it much. I'll still add it in next time though. I felt the beef & veggies were a little too salty so I will cut back on that next time (maybe because my pre-made potatoes already had a lot of salt in it?). Overall, VERY yummy, and particularly great on cold evenings. Will definitely make again!
Jul 2, 2017
This is peobably the best shepherd's pie I have fixed! The meat and potatoes go real good together!!
Jun 3, 2015
This was delicious. The change I made was using the whole can of tomato paste and half a cup of horseradish and about 1tbsp mustard .for the veggies I used a can cream corn and some peas and carrots so I omitted the peppers and forgot to buy mushrooms!
Dec 17, 2012
Great comfort food!
Dec 3, 2012
SO easy and SO delicious!! This is a perfect fall/winter meal and can be adjusted to be made lighter and healthier. Extra lean ground beef and low fat cheddar cheese. I didn't use the egg as it just doesn't sound right to me.
Nov 23, 2011
This recipe was fantastic! So delicious and flavorful! I added more potatoes and mushrooms to put the casserole into a 13 in. x 7 in. casserole dish. Amazing dish!
Feb 7, 2011
I don't normally take the time to write a review, but I had to comment on this recipe. It was so tasty! My husband & I fought over the leftovers.
Nov 7, 2010
This was my first attempt at making shepherds pie-it was a super easy recipe and my family devoured it! I will definetely make this again!
Oct 8, 2010
This recipe is reminiscent to the recipe my mother used to make. My children love it and for the weekdays it is easy and satisfying. It is a great dish for fall and winter. Real comfort food!