Shepherd’s Inn Breakfast Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 4 cups frozen Tater Tots
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash garlic powder
- 2 tomatoes, sliced and quartered
- Minced chives
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Spread in an ungreased 11x7-in. baking dish. Top with Tater Tots; sprinkle with cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, onion, pepper and garlic powder just until blended. Pour over cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 20-25 minutes longer. Top with tomato. Sprinkle with chives.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 632 calories, 45g fat (15g saturated fat), 206mg cholesterol, 1425mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Apr 1, 2016
Pre-bake the tots if you want then crispy. The only change I made was to cook some chopped sweet onion and red bell pepper with sausage. Sometimes I add extra eggs to use them up (we have laying hens).
Dec 2, 2014
this turned out really good, and in answer to VONOEPEN's QUESTION, "YES YOU CAN MAKE IT THE NIGHT BEFORE" that's what I do now. and they turn out just like a strata does.
Sep 5, 2014
I thought it was just ok. I've had better breakfast casseroles. I ended up using only 1 pound of sausage, and I doubled the egg mixture.
May 10, 2013
I have now made this recipe for an 8 person breakfast so I too increased the eggs to 6 and milk to 3/4 cup. Everyone loved it, but I still would like to know if it can be prepared the night before like so many egg dishes. Eileen
Apr 28, 2013
I have not made this yet, but wondered if it could be prepared the night before. Thanks, Eileen
Dec 26, 2010
I just made this for Christmas brunch. Everyone liked it. Since I used a 13" baking dish, I upped the eggs to 6, the milk to 3/4 cup, etc. Next time, I'm going to increase the heat to 375 to see if the tots will get crispier.