Deep-Dish Hunter’s Pie
Total TimePrep: 65 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups cubed cooked venison
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender; drain and mash. Add the garlic, milk, butter, rosemary, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms, carrots, onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add the venison, broth, thyme and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Combine the flour and water until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 248 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 513mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 12, 2014
My Mom and I made this a couple of days after Christmas! We had leftover greenbeans that we added as well. We had Prime rib for Christmas Eve and used it instead of Venison but I can't wait to try it with the Venison!! My Husband thought it was very good and he doesn't comment too much on things I make (although he does enjoy eating whatever I make)!!
May 25, 2013
Excellant flavor! Made this a couple of times now. Even used ground venison and it still tastes great!
Jan 26, 2013
My husband gave me permission to make this dish any time I want to! We loved it. I didn't have potatoes so I made garlic dumplings for the topping (put the cheese in the dumplings and not on top). Yummy!!!
Jan 26, 2011
Our family really enjoys this recipe! Sometimes I'll substitute ground venison for the stew meat venison, and throw in leftover vegetables like beans or corn.Try it with beef if you don't like venison!