Deep-Dish Blackberry Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blackberries, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- LATTICE CRUST:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Place blackberries in a bowl. Combine sugar and cornstarch; sprinkle over berries. Add lemon juice and cinnamon; toss to coat. Spoon into a greased 1-qt. baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, 1 teaspoon sugar and salt. Cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water; toss with a fork until a ball forms. Roll out pastry; cut into strips and make a lattice crust over filling. Crimp edges.
- Brush with egg white; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 373 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 12, 2008
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Blackberry pie is my favorite, and I can never find it anywhere (I'm not much of a pastry baker)! I'll try making this one, but I'll be using a ready made crust. Hope it turns out ok. LOL