Savory Meat Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- In a saucepan, cook potatoes in boiling water until tender; mash and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown beef until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the next nine ingredients. Simmer for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the potatoes, parsley and chili sauce; remove from the heat.
- Place bottom pastry in a 9-in. pie plate; brush with mustard. Add the meat mixture. Top with remaining pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut slits in the top crust.
- Brush with milk. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake 25 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 506 calories, 26g fat (11g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 802mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Feb 6, 2016
My wife made this the month it was first published and my children and I both have wished she could make it once a week ever since. Good food!
Feb 1, 2016
This was very good. I made about 2/3 cup beef broth gravey to make it a bit moist. I served it with some beef gravy and the chili sauce. I didn't put the chili sauce in the pie. I loved the fresh parsley. Janet VFE
Oct 3, 2013
Good, but I think I would leave the cinnamon out next time!
May 26, 2009
26g of fat in each slice!!WOW!