Savory-Crust Chicken Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 cup each chopped carrots, green pepper, sweet red pepper and onion
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sour cream until smooth. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sage; gradually add to butter mixture (mixture will be sticky). Spread onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 10-in. pie plate.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, saute vegetables in butter over medium heat until crisp-tender. Stir in chicken and soup. Spoon into the crust. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 387 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 877mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Jan 14, 2016
I found this recipe a few years ago in my OUR WISCONSIN magazine. Never found one better, it has become a favorite.
May 13, 2015
It isnt a quick make but I double this and freeze one pie. It is so delicious either way. I've added diffferent veggies like chopped kale instead of peppers; still delicious!
Feb 23, 2014
Delicious. Not super fast or easy to make--not too bad either--but even my kids liked it, and the smell coming out of the oven was wonderful.
Jul 27, 2013
I received this recipe several years ago from Taste of Home and really liked it. The crust is more of a bread type crust rather than the traditional pastry type crust, (although that is good, too). Sometimes I will add a little dill along with the sage.
Sep 24, 2011
It was delicious
Aug 8, 2011
I made this tonight and we LOVED it! It was so good and easy to make! We will be making this again for sure;-)
Aug 16, 2010
This recipe is a favorite of mine- I clipped it from a newspaper which said the recipe came off the back of bag of Pillsbury flour about 40 years ago. It's easy and delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.