Savory-Crust Chicken Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 cup each chopped carrots, green pepper, sweet red pepper and onion
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sour cream until smooth. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sage; gradually add to butter mixture (mixture will be sticky). Spread onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 10-in. pie plate.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, saute vegetables in butter over medium heat until crisp-tender. Stir in chicken and soup. Spoon into the crust. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 387 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 877mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Jan 14, 2016
I found this recipe a few years ago in my OUR WISCONSIN magazine. Never found one better, it has become a favorite.
May 13, 2015
It isnt a quick make but I double this and freeze one pie. It is so delicious either way. I've added diffferent veggies like chopped kale instead of peppers; still delicious!
Feb 23, 2014
Delicious. Not super fast or easy to make--not too bad either--but even my kids liked it, and the smell coming out of the oven was wonderful.
Jul 27, 2013
I received this recipe several years ago from Taste of Home and really liked it. The crust is more of a bread type crust rather than the traditional pastry type crust, (although that is good, too). Sometimes I will add a little dill along with the sage.
Sep 24, 2011
It was delicious
Aug 8, 2011
I made this tonight and we LOVED it! It was so good and easy to make! We will be making this again for sure;-)
Aug 16, 2010
This recipe is a favorite of mine- I clipped it from a newspaper which said the recipe came off the back of bag of Pillsbury flour about 40 years ago. It's easy and delicious!