Christmas Eve Meat Pie
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cloves, ground mace and ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add beef and pork; cook 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking up meat into crumbles. Drain.
- Stir tomato sauce and seasonings into meat mixture. Stir in spinach and potatoes. Remove from heat.
- Unroll one pastry sheet into a 9-in. pie plate; trim even with rim. Add filling. Unroll remaining pastry; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 45-55 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 25, 2016
If I could give zero stars I would. I'm not sure what it was but the spices in this recipe made me physically sick to my stomach because of the smell of Mace. I will try almost anything but this was HORRIBLE.
Jan 23, 2016
I made this it was awesome. I added some sweet yellow, red &orange bell peppers and also cabbage. Omg this was so great.
Dec 24, 2015
I made this last year after stumbling across the recipe and deciding to give it a try. My family loved it and has asked for it again this year. It looks like it's going to be our new Christmas Eve tradition. I do recommend using very high quality meat (beef and pork). I believe it makes a difference.
Dec 25, 2014
My family did not enjoy this recipe. Too much meat. The other side dishes made this pie easy to overlook. Was nice to try a new recipe though.
Dec 24, 2014
This was soooo good! I did make a couple of changes, I omitted the hash browns and used cinnamon instead if mace (didn't have mace or hash browns). I used turkey instead of ground beef and used 1 lb of ground pork. Next year when I make this again, I will add a little more tomato sauce since I used more meat.