Savory Spinach Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter. Remove from the heat; stir in spinach, salt and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, combine the cottage cheese, cream, cheese and eggs. Stir in spinach mixture. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 327 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 144mg cholesterol, 542mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Sep 28, 2016
Quick, easy and gone very quickly. Doubled recipe second time with no difficulty. I leave out the nutmeg and use seasoned salt as a personal preference.
Jun 6, 2014
Very bland and really needs some punch. Nutmeg seems out of place. There are many others out there that can satisfy.
Dec 19, 2012
I am rarely disappointed by a TOH recipe. This was very bland. I wish I had followed my instincts and added bacon.
Aug 31, 2012
The nutmeg was an odd taste for me so next time I would omit it and use garlic in place.
Oct 23, 2011
Very, very good! The fact that my picky husband ate 3 slices pretty much answered my question, "Do you like it?" I did only use an 1/8 tsp of the nutmeg, because I wasn't sure I'd like the taste, but I'll use 1/4 tsp next time (and there will be a next time!). I had canadian bacon to use up, so I finely dices about 3 ounces. It wasn't a lot of meat, but just enough. Next time I'll maybe try bacon or ham or whatever I have, but not too much to take away from the wonderful spinach and cheese flavor. I'm glad I found this in one of my oldest TOH cookbooks!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.