Barbecue Shepherd’s Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup honey barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 package (24 ounces) refrigerated mashed potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add turkey and onion; cook 6-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink, breaking up turkey into crumbles; drain. Stir in carrots, peas, barbecue sauce and ketchup.
- Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes over top; sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Freeze Option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 405 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 870mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
Nov 20, 2017
Quick and tasty. I will try adding cheese to the top of the potatoes next time.
Nov 9, 2015
This recipe was pleasantly surprising. I'm used to "traditional shepherd's pie" but I liked this BBQ version - and my husband loved it more! I made homemade mashed potatoes and threw a bit of cheddar cheese on top. As others have said, you could easily use other ingredients to try new varieties!
Mar 17, 2015
This was good as written. So many things to try with it. rebelwithoutaclue, your user name says it all. How about try this recipe & rate or don't try it & find something else to complain about! Like many others I am tired of those that complain about a recipe & they haven't even tried it! Notice in most cases the rest of the reviews are good too very good. Says a lot doesn't it?
Mar 5, 2015
Try using a small can of tomato paste with 1 cup of water. It reduces the sweet flavor. Also adds a little bit more moisture. I also added cheese bacon and scallions on the top. Was very good. !
Feb 14, 2015
This was so good, I can't wait to make it again. We used fresh carrots instead of frozen peas and carrots only because we didn't have them. We used reg barbecue sauce instead of honey barbecue sauce. Can't wait to make this for my father.
Jan 17, 2015
I made mashed potatoes rather than buying them. I also put cheese on top. It seemed a little dry but still good.
Jan 5, 2015
Awesome take on traditional Shepherd's Pie! My husband loved it. I did use instant mashed potatoes though instead of refrigerated. It turned out wonderful and I had it on hand.
Jan 3, 2015
Not Shepherd's pie, where is the lamb?
Jan 2, 2015
This sounds so tasty. I can't wait to try it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.