Spicy Shepherd’s Pie
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, corn, olives, taco seasoning, chili powder, salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with 3/4 cup cheese. Spread mashed potatoes over the top; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteYou may substitute 4-1/2 cups hot homemade mashed potatoes for the instant potatoes if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 516 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 1337mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 24g protein.
Mar 28, 2017
I use Idahoan Instant Potatoes which is simply the best instant potatoes to my mind. To control the salt intake I use Ree Drummond's Homemade Taco Seasoning (via her site Pioneer Woman or Tasty Kitchen) cutting down as I see fit. I use no-salt tomatoes and a small can (8 oz.) no-salt corn. You might think you would miss the salt, but I have found that the flavor of the food really comes out when it isn't smothered in salt. Also I use more cheese than is called for. The more the merrier! Even better the next day.Such a delicious recipe, and a complete meal with a salad!
Jan 24, 2017
Used 1 tsp chili powder, low sodium taco seasoning and 1/4 tsp salt. Otherwise made as written. I would definitely make again.
Feb 19, 2016
I'm not sure why this highly-rated recipe didn't work. Wrong taco seasoning? Homemade mashed potatoes not thick enough? Too much sauce for the meat? Ugh. Sadly, it was a disaster for me.
Feb 19, 2016
I thought it was a good recipe easy to make. I wouldn't use instant potatoes again, didn't like the taste of them!
Feb 18, 2016
Great recipe and easy to make . This recipe is definitely a keeper .
Feb 17, 2016
I'm going to try this recipe Sounds awesome. I do have a question and that is, would this keep well if I freeze part of this?
Dec 3, 2015
This is truly a 30 minute meal and the flavor was great. My family loved it.
Oct 20, 2015
Made this for dinner last night and it was great! Very easy and yummy.
Oct 16, 2015
I've made this a couple of times with good results. Used instant garlic mashed potatoes--yummy!
Oct 13, 2015
Make your own mashed potatoes and taco seasoning mix and this is a great meal..different from regular shepherd's pie but still delicious.