Quick Cream of Mushroom Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and onion until tender.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper and one can broth until smooth; stir into mushroom mixture. Stir in remaining broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cream. Simmer, uncovered, until flavors are blended, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 136 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 842mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 29, 2019
This soup is amazing!! I used it to make green bean casserole and I will never buy canned cream of mushroom soup again. I'm going to try making cream of chicken soup next. I never realized what a difference the homemade version would be. Thanks so much for the killer recipy.
Nov 25, 2019
Used mushroom stock instead of chicken stock, also added half tablespoon Better than Bullion mushroom concentrate. Turned out great.
Nov 24, 2019
Very good ! I will never buy can again.
Nov 19, 2019
I just made this according to the recipe, was worried the onion would be too strong or that there would be too earthy of a flavor with the mushrooms. Boy was I wrong! It was delicious and perfect. It was like a thick gravy. I'm going to serve it over biscuits next time. Yummy!
Nov 16, 2019
we do not buy any store bought soup anymore, this is very easy to make and it is so good. i do add a bot of garlic powder and skip the onions and it turns out so good.
Nov 6, 2019
Cooked it by the recipe but I did add a little garlic powder as suggested by another review and I am so pleased with the outcome!! It is absolutely delish!!! Tho next time I am going to try adding some cooking sherry also as another reviewer did.....I love cooking sherry and I do believe it will be a wonderful addition to an already great recipe!!
Oct 19, 2019
Easy and delicious! Added a bit of garlic powder and splash of extra virgin olive oil. Yum!
Oct 10, 2019
Sep 17, 2019
I make a couple of changes to it. It was good before but now OMG. First make your own broth. Then use whole cream not half and half. It's makes so creamy.
Sep 15, 2019
Needs to be a little bit thicker for my taste , flavor great