Black Bean Potato au Gratin
The addition of black beans and vegetables adds hearty protein and fiber to this tasty side dish. For a southwestern twist, add a handful or two of chopped cooked ham or chorizo sausage and replace the peas with 1 cup of frozen, thawed corn. —Erin Chilcoat, Smithtown, New York
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds medium red potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, soup, red pepper, peas, onion, celery, garlic, thyme and pepper. Spoon half of mixture into a greased 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Layer with half of the potatoes, salt and cheese. Repeat layers. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 340 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 1178mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 10g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Cheddar Black Bean Potato au Gratin in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.