Chicken Spinach Dip Bread Bowls
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min. + standing
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 loaves sourdough bread (1 pound each)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°. Thaw spinach, reserving 2 tablespoons liquid.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine oil and garlic. Microwave on high 30-45 seconds or until warmed. Cut a thin slice off top of each bread loaf. Hollow out bottoms, leaving 1/2-in.-thick shells (save removed bread for another use). Brush 2 tablespoons oil mixture over outside and inside of bread bowls. Place bread bowls on a baking sheet.
- Strain remaining oil mixture into a large skillet; discard garlic. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pepper and onion; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender. Remove from pan.
- Add chicken to pan; cook and stir over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink. Reduce heat to medium. Add artichoke hearts, cream cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, spinach, pepper mixture and reserved spinach liquid; cook and stir until cream cheese is melted. Stir in 1/4 cup crumbled bacon. Remove from heat.
- Divide mixture between bread bowls; top with remaining bacon. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese over filling and bowls.
- Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes. Cover loosely with foil; bake 8-12 minutes longer or until filling is heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. To serve, cut each bowl into 4 wedges. Freeze option: Cool chicken mixture before filling bread bowls. Securely wrap unbaked bowls in foil; place in resealable plastic freezer bags and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Unwrap bowls and place on a baking sheet. Cover loosely with foil and bake in a preheated 350° oven 1 hour. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until filling is heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 30, 2015
Very tasty!!! Better than pizza :)
Jan 21, 2015
Great recipe with a nice presentation.
Jan 21, 2015
I love bread bowls and sometimes make up recipes on my own. But, I am rating 5 Stars for the appearance of beauty of the bread bowl and the taste must and is brilliant! Why wait for a party? Make some for yourself!