Baked Spinach Dip in Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) unsliced sourdough bread
- Assorted fresh vegetables
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and mayonnaise until blended. Stir in the spinach, cheese, bacon, onion, dill and garlic; set aside.
- Cut a 1-1/2-in. slice off top of bread; set aside. Carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Cube removed bread and place on a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown; set aside.
- Fill bread shell with spinach dip; replace top. Place any dip that doesn't fit in shell in a greased baking dish. Wrap bread in heavy-duty foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until dip is heated through. Cover and bake additional dip for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Open foil carefully. Serve dip warm with vegetables and reserved bread cubes.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 361 calories, 28g fat (11g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 537mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Nov 5, 2015
Used ingredients as stated. Only change was that I baked it all in a dish and not the bread bowl. Turned out fantastic!!! Great as appetizer or snack for any occasion. Served with crackers or veggies.
Apr 16, 2014
This dip was pretty good, but a lot of work.
Feb 17, 2014
This dip is a HUGE hit at parties. The bread bowl really gives it flair.
Nov 9, 2013
So Good Brought this to a Stanford Tailgate Huge hit. Different from the usual Spinach dip So GOOD
Nov 23, 2011
my husband asks me to make this all the time... People are always asking me to make it for get togethers
Nov 20, 2011
This is simply the best! I would recommend this to all.
Sep 10, 2011
I just made this as an appetizer for a birthday party and it disappeared quicker than anything I've ever seen! It was delish!!
Jan 2, 2011
Dec 23, 2010
I have been making this recipe for many years and I love it. I do not always bake in the bread. Most of the time, I bake in a covered dish. It is comparable to one of my favorite restaurants' spinach dip. I serve it at our family Christmas gathering and it is always gone by the end of the evening. I also serve it with pita chips.
Nov 21, 2009
made it when first appeared in taste of home been making it ever since- fantastic