Fettuccine with Black Bean Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups garden-style pasta sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Additional chopped fresh basil, optional
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute green pepper and onion in oil until tender. Stir in the pasta sauce, black beans and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Drain fettuccine. Top with sauce and sprinkle with cheese. If desired, top with chopped fresh basil.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup sauce with 3/4 cup pasta: 350 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 761mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 8g fiber), 16g protein.
May 29, 2019
This is very good. I used organic whole grain fusilli because that's what I had on hand. Ragu Simply Organic Chunky Garden Style Marinara. I also used 2 cloves of minced garlic instead of the salt, again because I had it. Left out the fennel seed, we don't like it. Seasoned with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Served it with spring veggie mix. We'll definitely make this one again.
May 19, 2019
Instead of pasta I used spaghetti squash. It was excellent, I have made this recipe more than once.
Mar 6, 2019
I knew that I would love this recipe when I read it since I am a vegetarian. While husband was less thrilled with it, I absolutely loved it
Aug 15, 2017
I'm a big fan of pasta and loved the sauce. A lot different than your basic red sauce with meat
Nov 14, 2013
Quick & easy and that's what I like! Tastes great, basically a dressed up vegetarian spaghetti.
Jan 21, 2013
This was an awesome twist during our weekly meals. My family loves pasta, but with this black bean sauce it has just enough flavor and tastes great! I could easily see putting some type of meat with this recipe too!
Dec 5, 2012
My family loves the "chunkiness" of this sauce. Tonight I added ground beef and substituted diced zucchini squash for the green pepper. It made a very hearty meal for four teenagers!
Feb 5, 2009
My mom used to do this when we were kids. Just putting a drained can of black beans into spaghetti sauce instead of ground beef really mixes things up - and it's pretty good!