Fettuccine with Black Bean Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups garden-style pasta sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute green pepper and onion in oil until tender. Stir in the pasta sauce, black beans and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Drain fettuccine. Top with sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 350 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 761mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 8g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Aug 15, 2017
I'm a big fan of pasta and loved the sauce. A lot different than your basic red sauce with meat
Nov 14, 2013
Quick & easy and that's what I like! Tastes great, basically a dressed up vegetarian spaghetti.
Jan 21, 2013
This was an awesome twist during our weekly meals. My family loves pasta, but with this black bean sauce it has just enough flavor and tastes great! I could easily see putting some type of meat with this recipe too!
Dec 5, 2012
My family loves the "chunkiness" of this sauce. Tonight I added ground beef and substituted diced zucchini squash for the green pepper. It made a very hearty meal for four teenagers!
Feb 5, 2009
My mom used to do this when we were kids. Just putting a drained can of black beans into spaghetti sauce instead of ground beef really mixes things up - and it's pretty good!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.