Red Lentil Soup Mix
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes4 batches/4 cups per batch
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 packages (1 pound each) dried red lentils
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- Combine the first 11 ingredients. Place 1-1/3 cups lentils in each of four 12-oz. jelly jars. Evenly divide onion mixture among small cellophane bags; place sealed bags inside jars, on top of lentils. Store in a cool, dry place up to 6 months. Yield: 4 batches.
- To prepare one batch: Rinse lentils and drain. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, saute carrot and celery in oil until tender. Add lentils, onion mixture and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 10-15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 257 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1067mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 7g fiber), 14g protein.
Dec 9, 2017
This is a very good soup that has wonderful flavor. I had everything to make 1/2 batch of the soup, except the vegetable broth so I used chicken bouillon. The soup will even better next time when I use veg. bouillon which gives great flavor to veg-bean soups). This will be a good soup to keep in my freezer in individual portions for easy access to a quick protein rich soup. I would probably give 5 stars if I had used veg. broth or bouillon as the flavor would blend great with the other ingredients.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.