Italian Herb-Lentil Patties with Mozzarella
My family has requested this meatless recipe over and over again. It is simple to prepare and even meat lovers like it. —Geri Lucas, Oldsmar, Florida
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
- 3 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 packets instant plain oatmeal (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 10 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese or provolone cheese
- Marinara sauce, warmed, optional
- Cook lentils according to package directions; drain and cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs and seasonings; stir in cooked lentils and oatmeal. Shape into ten 3/4-in.-thick patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Cook patties in batches 4-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown and a thermometer reads 160°, adding additional oil as needed. Top with cheese; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. If desired, serve with marinara sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 patty: 416 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 517mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 9g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Lentil Patties with Cheese Topping in Light Recipes 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.