Lentil Pepperoni Stew
Turkey pepperoni nicely spices this thick lentil stew with its rich tomato broth. "This is a 'stick-to-your-ribs' mainstay at our house," says Diane Hixon of Niceville, Florida.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 1 hour 40 min.
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 pound sliced turkey pepperoni, quartered
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- In a Dutch oven, combine the water, lentils, onion, pepperoni, tomato paste and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, celery and carrot; cover and simmer 35-45 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 261 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 681mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat.
Originally published as Lentil Pepperoni Stew in Light & Tasty April/May 2003