Hot Italian Patties
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup butter, softened
- In a saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, basil, pepper flakes and garlic powder. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shape sausage into four thin oval patties. In a skillet over medium heat, cook patties until no longer pink; remove and keep warm.
- In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Place a slice of cheese on four slices of bread; layer each with a sausage patty, onion and remaining cheese. Top with remaining bread. Butter the outsides of sandwiches.
- On a griddle or in a large skillet, toast over medium heat until both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve with herbed tomato sauce for dipping.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 994 calories, 60g fat (26g saturated fat), 150mg cholesterol, 2164mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 37g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 27, 2017
These were good and came together easily. I did make some changes based on items I had on hand. I used a 12 oz can of tomatoe sauce with 1 teaspoon of fennel and a teaspoon of Italian seasoning instead of basil. I think fresh basil would have made this dip fantastic but I didn't have any basil in the house. The fennel was really good in the dip and gave it that pizza sauce flavor. For the patties I used half Italian sausage and half ground beef with one egg and 1/3 cup of dry bread crumbs to combine the patties. We had havarti cheese instead of mozzarella. Everyone really enjoyed the sandwiches and I appreciate that they are versatile.
Sep 21, 2012
Great sandwich. I loved the dipping sauce. Just a little bit of a bite to it. I used frozen Italian sausage patties and it was very quick to prepare.
Aug 20, 2010
I can see why this is a contest winner. Great sandwich even my picky kids loved this.