Hot Italian Patties
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup butter, softened
- In a saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, basil, pepper flakes and garlic powder. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shape sausage into four thin oval patties. In a skillet over medium heat, cook patties until no longer pink; remove and keep warm.
- In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Place a slice of cheese on four slices of bread; layer each with a sausage patty, onion and remaining cheese. Top with remaining bread. Butter the outsides of sandwiches.
- On a griddle or in a large skillet, toast over medium heat until both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve with herbed tomato sauce for dipping.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 994 calories, 60g fat (26g saturated fat), 150mg cholesterol, 2164mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 37g protein.
Feb 27, 2017
These were good and came together easily. I did make some changes based on items I had on hand. I used a 12 oz can of tomatoe sauce with 1 teaspoon of fennel and a teaspoon of Italian seasoning instead of basil. I think fresh basil would have made this dip fantastic but I didn't have any basil in the house. The fennel was really good in the dip and gave it that pizza sauce flavor. For the patties I used half Italian sausage and half ground beef with one egg and 1/3 cup of dry bread crumbs to combine the patties. We had havarti cheese instead of mozzarella. Everyone really enjoyed the sandwiches and I appreciate that they are versatile.
Sep 21, 2012
Great sandwich. I loved the dipping sauce. Just a little bit of a bite to it. I used frozen Italian sausage patties and it was very quick to prepare.
Aug 20, 2010
I can see why this is a contest winner. Great sandwich even my picky kids loved this.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.