Butter Pecan Layer Cake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2-2/3 cups chopped pecans
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 to 8-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place pecans and 1/4 cup butter in a baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in 1-1/3 cups of toasted pecans.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, cream butter and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl. Add milk and vanilla; beat until smooth. Stir in remaining toasted pecans. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 821 calories, 43g fat (18g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 418mg sodium, 107g carbohydrate (83g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Feb 11, 2018
I made the cake just like the recipe but it turned out to tuff it wasn't flakey at all . Idk what happened. I used cake flour and fresh ingredients idk but it tasted good
Nov 16, 2017
Very sweet dessert. The pecans definitely take less than 20 minutes to toast. I only used 7 cups of confectioners' sugar in the frosting and it seemed to be fine, really sweet, but spread really nicely.
Aug 27, 2017
Very boring cake. Doesn't taste like much. Honestly this needs either a cream cheese frosting or some spices in the cake batter (cinnamon/nutmeg).It basically tastes like a plain vanilla cake covered in pecans. And I don't think it's the recipe. I looked a quite a few and they are all similar.
Dec 30, 2016
This is a good cake; however, I don't think it is worth it considering the cost of the ingredients.
Oct 10, 2016
Wow. This cake was amazing! Some reviewers noted that there was way too much frosting. After looking at the ingredients (I normally use half that amount of butter and powdered sugar to frost a 2-layer cake), I decided to make 2/3 of the frosting recipe. I'm a frosting lover, so I piled it on, and I still had leftover frosting. I agree that you could half the frosting recipe and be just fine. Anyway, everyone loved this cake! One of my friends called it a "pecan sandie in cake form." I'll definitely make this one again.
Nov 29, 2015
Oct 23, 2015
I followed the recipe exactly and floured and greased pans and the cake stuck to bottom of the pan! I've baked many layrr cakes and never had this issue. I was making it for family reunion but now it's useless and I'll never make this again. Total waster of time and ingredients
Oct 5, 2015
The cake itself is amazing but only leave the pecans in oven 15 minutes. The icing was entirely too sweet and the recipe calls for way too much of it. I halved the icing recipe and have leftovers still. Also the icing was too thin and the pecans made it heavy so it didn't stick well to the sides of my cake and ran off (it was refridgerated overnight before icing) I would probably opt for a less sweet buttercream icing and use leftover pecans to garnish. They aren't cheap so I wouldn't buy as much pecans either Next time. I didn't have the round cake pans so used a 9x13 and added 10-15 minutes. I am definitely making this again just tweeking it to perfection.
Jan 25, 2015
WOW THIS IS A MUST TRY AND CONGRATS MRS. MILLER I'M FROM TALLAHASSEE TOO...BLESSINGS, LOOKS DELICIOUS
Jun 15, 2014
i made this for the first time the other day and thought it was the best thing on the planet. the frosting is to die for. they ate it at work so fast i only got 1 piece
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.