Toasted Butter Pecan Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup softened butter, divided
- 2-2/3 cups chopped pecans
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 6-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small heavy skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add pecans; cook until toasted, about 4 minutes. Cool.
- Cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined. Fold in 2 cups pecans, reserving remainder.
- Spread batter evenly into three greased and waxed paper-lined 9-in. round pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Beat in enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 786 calories, 43g fat (19g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 351mg sodium, 96g carbohydrate (72g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Sep 20, 2015
This is now one of my favorite Cakes & will be my go to one, I made it for our Church Social & it was a huge hit. I did alter the recipe a bit. I used 4 cake pans & cut them into & made a 8 Layer Cake, I roasted 4 cups of Pecans in 4 Tablespoons of Butter, I put 2 cups in the Batter as per directions & 2 cups Mixed in the Icing, I used 2 Packages of Cream Cheese & 2 Sticks Butter, 7 cups of Sifted Confectioners' Sugar, 2. Teaspoons Vanilla Extract, 3 Tablespoons 2% Milk. I had several people ask for the recipe...
Jun 3, 2015
Delicious and moist cake with killer frosting!
Jun 3, 2015
I have a question, do you sifted the flour before adding additional dry ingredients?
Jun 3, 2015
I've made this without the pecans many times. I need to try it this way!
Apr 17, 2014
I don't often take the time to write reviews, but this one deserves compliments. It is one of my families favorite desserts and I save it for special occasions, Easter, for instance, because I don't want them to get too used to it...that's how good it is. Really truly delicious, the frosting pairs perfectly with the rich, moist cake. I can't say enough good things about it: Try it, you won't regret it!
Mar 4, 2014
This was a delicious cake! It was a nice change from the usual desserts I make when company comes around. This cake feeds many! And, for those of you concerned about the calories, I was too. But, I cut my cake into 20 pieces! That lowered the calorie count down to 471 calories, which is still a lot. This is a sometimes-cake as I like to call it! :) Delicious!
Feb 19, 2014
Awesome cake..I exchanged the pecans with Black Waluts..Awesome!!!
Feb 17, 2014
Totally awesome cake!!!
Jul 29, 2013
I have made this several times. The first time was for a bake sale and it was among the first to go. It is always complimented.
Dec 31, 2011
Favorite cake yet. Love the cream cheese frosting. I recommend trying to avoid putting in the nuts that become finely crushed, they make the cake look dirty.