Pecan French Toast
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min.
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 4 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and corn syrup; cook over medium heat until thickened, about 3 minutes. Pour into an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish; sprinkle with pecans. Top with bread. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and salt; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, until a thermometer reads 160°, 35-40 minutes. Invert onto a serving platter.
Nutrition Facts2 slices: 577 calories, 30g fat (11g saturated fat), 249mg cholesterol, 666mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Dec 12, 2011
I've been making this since the Spring 2006 Cooking for 2 published it! It is absolutely fabulous! My husband loves it, especially when I add dried Michigan cheries to it! So simple, and by preparing the night before, it's nice for a Sunday morning before church!
Apr 17, 2011
Yummy Yummy Yummy
Jan 3, 2008
very good, but had a sweet custart taste from the egg mixture that wasn't absorped by the bread. Next time, I will use day old bread.