Louisiana Pecan Bacon Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-low heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Reserve drippings (about 2 tablespoons); cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and reserved drippings until smooth. Beat in egg. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to cream cheese mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in pecans, onion, pepper and bacon. Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Freeze option: Securely wrap cooled loaves and freeze. To use, thaw in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 198 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Oct 27, 2019
"Clogmore99" - it's what one does when they've already been mad at the rest of the world for lesser things.
Jul 29, 2018
First had this in the deep south. Have been making ever since and never a crumb left at any party. Thanks for sharing your version! A winner for sure!
May 9, 2018
LIKE LOVE IN MY TUMMY SO YUMMY
Apr 21, 2017
It's a very unique bread--one everyone in my office loves. Someone bakes it and brings it in several times a year for some celebration or another. It's a very good reason to have office parties :)
Mar 2, 2016
Wow Clogmore99..that was harsh..but if I won $500.00 for this bread, obviously its not the recipe that was "off", but the cook/baker! Just sayin! ; )
Jan 9, 2016
This is delicious. Even though the recipe doesn't call for it, I sauteed the onion and pepper a little before adding to the batter, and it turned out great. Next time, I would probably reduce the sugar to 1/4 cup, as a lot of recipes have way too much sugar.
Dec 18, 2015
I was very intrigued by this contest winning recipe. What's not to like? Bacon, pecans, cream cheese. I thought this would be a great Christmas gift. I followed this recipe exactly and this is the weirdest thing I've ever made. It was baked properly, toothpick came out clean. It's very dense, looks raw, nothing I could share with anyone. I'm very disappointed with the ingredients that were wasted on this.