Texas Pecan Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/4 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- In a bowl, combine the flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add cold water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Sprinkle with pecans; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the corn syrup, eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt until well blended. Pour over pecans.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes our clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 466 calories, 23g fat (4g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 151mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 12, 2018
I haven't tried this but it is similar to my tried and true recipe from Farm Journal's Best Ever Pies, except without the butter. I think a pecan pie needs butter. Just sayin.
Nov 11, 2018
I am impressed with the easy ingredients, as against my older recipe. I will try this one, but will add about a tablespoon-full of corn meal. You may like to try that addition.
Nov 10, 2018
Simply the best with Seguin, TX from Pape's Pecan House. Always fresh and perfect.
Oct 1, 2018
This is a really good recipe for that old-fashioned pecan pie I grew up with. It's wonderful! There's nothing I would do to change it (except to top each slice of the finished product with some whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!).
Nov 25, 2015
Always turns out perfect. It's the best pecan pie I've ever tasted!
Nov 26, 2011
Best Pecan Pie I ever made. I did use a store bought pastry crust to save time. The filling set up perfectly and the light syrup added just the right sweetness.
Mar 22, 2010
I had to make it into 2 small pies. I believe it is for a deep dish if you don't make your own.
Nov 11, 2009
This is a very good and fairly simple recipe. I would use a frozen pie crust if I was in a pinch for time. Other wise very good recipe.