Bacon Corn Bread
"Central Illinois is one of the major corn and pork producing areas of the country, so why wouldn't this bread be a favorite here? asks Carol Roper of Litchfield, Illinois. She dresses up a basic batter with corn, onion and cheese, then tops it with poppy seeds and bacon.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients just until blended. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with bacon, poppy seeds if desired and paprika. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 163 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 309mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Bacon Corn Bread in Quick Cooking May/June 2003
Mar 9, 2010
I made this to serve with chili, it was so good! I always keep pre-cooked bacon in my freezer, so it was very easy to make. Also very inexpensive. Leftovers just as good the next day.