Bacon-Peanut Butter Cornbread Muffins
My family just can't get enough bacon and peanut butter, so I created these quick and easy cornbread muffins using ingredients I regularly keep stocked in my pantry and fridge. The streusel topping adds a delicious, sweet-salty crunch! No peanut butter baking chips on hand? Substitute chocolate chips, then drizzle the warm cakes with chocolate syrup instead of caramel for a different flavor twist! —Shannon Kohn, Summerville, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 tablespoons softened butter, divided
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 package (2.10 ounces) ready-to-serve fully cooked bacon, finely chopped, divided
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2/3 cup peanut butter chips
- Caramel ice cream topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease six 6-oz. ramekins or jumbo muffin cups with 2 tablespoons butter. For topping, in a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons butter, peanuts, 3 tablespoons bacon and brown sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat muffin mix, buttermilk and eggs. Microwave peanut butter and remaining 2 tablespoons butter until melted; stir into batter. Fold in peanut butter chips and remaining 2/3 cup bacon. Pour into prepared ramekins; sprinkle with topping.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from ramekins to a wire rack. Serve warm. If desired, drizzle with caramel ice cream topping.