Carrot Cake Doughnuts
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon each salt, ground nutmeg and cloves
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange zest. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cloves; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in carrots.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange juice, carrot and vanilla; drizzle over warm doughnuts. Sprinkle with walnuts.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 244 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 5, 2011
The batter and doughnuts are very dry. Nice flavor but will have to decide how to tweek the recipe.
Dec 4, 2011
I found this batter to be very dry...Hopefully when I fry them off they will be good!!!